School-Based Allergy, Asthma and Anaphylaxis Management Program Toolkit
View the Toolkit
*Free registration is required to use the toolkits provided within HIPxChange. This information is required by our funders and is used to determine the impact of the materials posted on the website.
Childhood asthma is a common, chronic pediatric condition, affecting 6.3 million children. Morbidity from childhood asthma adversely affects school performance, with 1 in 2 children reporting school absences due to asthma each year. These asthma related absences influence academic achievement, leading to decreased levels of reading proficiency and increased risk of learning disabilities. Improving health and school-related outcomes for children with asthma requires the use of school-based partnerships that focus on integrated care coordination amongst families, clinicians, and school nurses.
For asthma care, the School-Based Allergy, Asthma and Anaphylaxis Management ProgramTM (SA3MPROTM) advocates four components to integrate schools, and specifically school nurses, within the asthma care team. These components are:
- The creation of a Circle of Support amongst the families, clinicians, and school nurses centered around the child with asthma.
- The creation and transmission of Asthma Management Plans to schools. This includes an Asthma Emergency Treatment Plan for emergency management of asthma symptoms and an individualized Asthma Action Plan (AAP) for each child with asthma. A standardized AAP is available.
- A comprehensive Asthma Education Plan for school personnel.
- A comprehensive Environmental Asthma Plan to assess and remediate asthma triggers at home and in school.
SA3MPROTM standardizes recommendations for school based asthma management, and provides websites and resources useful for the care of children with asthma in the school setting.
Who should use this toolkit?
This toolkit is intended for school nurses, education administrators, clinicians, or healthcare administrators who are interested in implementing the School-based Asthma Management Program at their school or organization.
What does the toolkit contain?
The SA3MPROTM Toolkit contains several tools to help you implement the key components of SA3MPROTM:
- A slideset to learn about how to approach the SA3MPROTM program, and to teach others in the community about SA3MPROTM and how to support the creation of a Circle of Support in hospitals, clinics, and schools.
- Establishing the Circle of Support: Tools for engaging clinicians, school nurses, and families, and how to foster good communication between them.
- Using and transmitting the Asthma Emergency Treatment Plan and an Asthma Action Plan
- Tools for the school nurse to provide asthma education to school personnel
- Additional resources to support effective school-based management of asthma
How should these tools be used?
The enclosed tools will provide information for feasible implementation of SA3MPROTM into local communities.
We encourage users to complete the free registration process to allow for full downloads of available material. We will use the information requested during the registration to update users on toolkit updates and to study usage patterns of the toolkits by school nurses and clinicians.
After registering on the SA3MPROTM Toolkit site, you will be able to view all of the materials online, as well as download all of the materials in a ZIP file to save on your computer.
A SA3MPROTM slideset to learn about how to approach the SA3MPROTM program, as well as to teach others in the community about SA3MPROTM and how to support the creation of a Circle of Support in hospitals, clinics, and schools, is available in the toolkit. Two versions of the slideset are available: one with narration, and one without narration.
We recommend that you view the slideset with narration as an introduction on how to approach the program before beginning to implement SA3MPROTM.
Development of this toolkit
The SA3MPROTM Toolkit was developed by the stakeholders in the SA3MPROTM Summit Stakeholder Workforce, listed to the right.
This project was supported by funding from the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) and the National Association of School Nurses (NASN). Additional support was provided by the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health’s Health Innovation Program (HIP), the Wisconsin Partnership Program, and the Community-Academic Partnerships core of the University of Wisconsin Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (UW ICTR), grant 9 U54 TR000021 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (previously grant 1 UL1 RR025011 from the National Center for Research Resources). The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health or other funders.
Lemanske RF, Kakumanu S, Shanovich K, et al. Creation and implementation of SAMPRO: A school-based asthma management program. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016;138(3):711-23.
SA3MPROTM Toolkit. American Academy of Asthma Allergy & Immunology, University of Wisconsin – Madison Department of Medicine; 2016. Available at: https://hipxchange.org/SAMPRO.