Shared Decision Making Repository
View the Toolkit
*Free registration is required to use the toolkits provided within HIPxChange. This information is required by our funders and is used to determine the impact of the materials posted on the website.
This tool compiles and catalogs over 70 qualitative and quantitative instruments that measure shared decision making. It allows researchers to easily locate and sort through a large collection of current literature on shared decision making measurements, and avoid performing redundant literature searches.
Who should use this toolkit?
The shared decision making repository is intended for surgeons, researchers, other clinicians, and anyone who is interested in shared decision making. It can be used to:
- Conduct a literature search to inform grant application or protocol planning and development
- Measure patient involvement
- Measure shared decision making
What does the toolkit contain?
Literature on the following shared decision making measurement options:
- Surveys: Publications that describe survey measurement of SDM. These focus on the quantitative assessment of variables that influence decision making for patients and physicians.
- Interviews: Publications on interview methods to analyze shared decision making.
- Coding Schemas: Publications on coding schemas to qualitatively measure and analyze interviews with SDM stakeholders including patients, physicians and other clinicians.
How should the tool be used?
After you register to view the tool, you will be presented with a screen that contains the full repository of publications. At the top of the screen, you can click on options to filter the publications by measure type (coding schema, interview, or survey), who the instrument measures (e.g., health professional, nurse, patient, physician), and a free text search option.
The Shared Decision Making Repository is also available to faculty and staff in the UW-Madison Department of Surgery on this website (UW Department of Surgery login required): https://shareddecision.surgery.wisc.edu/. It contains the same content as the version on this website, but also includes PDFs of many of the articles.
Development of this toolkit
The Shared Decision Making Repository was developed by researchers and clinicians (Principal Investigator: Margaret Schwarze) at the Wisconsin Surgical Outcomes Research Program within the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine & Public Health – Department of Surgery.
This project was supported the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health’s Health Innovation Program (HIP), the Wisconsin Partnership Program, and the Community-Academic Partnerships core of the University of Wisconsin Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (UW ICTR), grant 9 U54 TR000021 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (previously grant 1 UL1 RR025011 from the National Center for Research Resources). The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health or other funders.
Please send questions, comments and suggestions to HIPxChange@hip.wisc.edu.
Fox DA, Buffington AS, Lee R, Pati B, and Schwarze ML. Wisconsin Surgical Outcomes Research Program, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. Madison, WI; 2018. Available at: https://www.hipxchange.org/SharedDecisionMakingRepository
- Sepucha, K. R., & Scholl, I. (2014). Measuring Shared Decision Making: A Review of Constructs, Measures, and Opportunities for Cardiovascular Care. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, 7(4), 620-626. doi:10.1161/circoutcomes.113.000350
- Shay, L. A., & Lafata, J. E. (2014). Where Is the Evidence? A Systematic Review of Shared Decision Making and Patient Outcomes. Medical Decision Making, 35(1), 114-131. doi:10.1177/0272989x14551638